Scientists descend on Yekaterinburg for international conference at UrFU
Organized by Ural Federal University's Institute of Natural Sciences and the Institute of Plant and Animal Ecology of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the conference brought together leading archaeologists, geologists, paleontologists, evolutionary biologists and and paleoecologists to discuss their research into the Quaternary period, which is the last 2.6 million years of Earth's history.
During the conference, the scientists examined unique geological features throughout the Urals and participated in expeditions to the Sverdlovsk region's Olenyi Ruchi natural park and Shaitansky lake. Expeditions to the Chelyabinsk region were conducted to explore Ignatievskaya cave, as well as coal mines near Emanzhelinsk and Miass.
In discussion sessions, more than 100 assembled researchers from across Russia, Austria, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine, France and Estonia shared their concerns regarding global climate change and its chronology. Experts presented their findings on the role of glaciers during the Pleistocene geological period throughout Western and Eastern Europe, European Russia, the Urals and Siberia.
Other discussions were dedicated to the problems associated with using geological and paleontological records to future development of ecosystems in isolated regions and throughout entire continents.
In one keynote lecture, Italian professors Coltori and Peruccini and Austrian professor Fiebig demonstrated practical applications of geological research in developing sustainable economic activities. The works cited in the lecture was compiled during a study of archeological sites in Germany, Armenia and the Urals. Fiebig further noted that international collaborations are vital to the success of large-scale scientific research projects and can be used to attract young scientists to geological study.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants