Forum of Young Restaurateurs features culinary lessons, cooking challenges
The Eurasian Culinary Salon is the largest annual event dedicated to the hospitality industry held in the Sverdlovsk region. Held from Sept. 3-5 at USUE's campus, the Eurasian Culinary Salon brought together student and professional chefs to attend kitchen technology seminars, learn new culinary techniques and to compete in a variety of front and back-of-house restaurant challenges.
Twenty teams from across Eurasian countries competed in this year's final challenge which gave student kitchen teams 90 minutes to prepare a meal with several courses, including appetizers and dessert. The competition was held in USUE's newly-opened FORUMCAFE, a full-service restaurant completely operated by culinary and hospitality students at the university.
During the Salon, participants were free to attend a series of lectures and roundtable discussions on current issues and topics in the culinary field. This year, forums were held on the grain market, food security and new trends in modern cooking.
New this year was the Forum of Young Restaurateurs, which featured special hands-on lessons for culinary students, including a master class in healthy cooking techniques during which students prepared salmon marinated in beets, air mashed beet curry, couscous, crispy shrimp and carrot mousse.
After learning healthy cooking techniques, students spent the remainder of the Salon participating in fun competitions such as the "Mustache and Beard" battle where renowned chefs Thomas Gugler and Vladimir Olkinitskogo judged chefs on their cooking as well as their creative facial hair. In a separate competition, student chefs had to prepare a meal while overcoming physical obstacles in the kitchen.
This organizers of this year's Eurasian Culinary Salon characterized the event as a major success in enhancing the professional skills of chefs in the Urals, from which all citizens of Yekaterinburg and the Sverdlovsk region will benefit.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants