Steven Spielberg to begin filming Cold War-era spy thriller near Sverdlovsk
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Tom Hanks will play the lead role in the film as the lawyer James Donovan, who worked to release the pilot from Soviet hands, Oblastnaya Gazeta reports.
Powers' U-2 spy plane was shot down near Sverdlovsk on May 1, 1960. A Soviet court sentenced the pilot to 10 years in prison for espionage, though he was later exchanged for Soviet spy Rudolf Abel.
The incident also resulted in the death of Soviet pilot Sergei Safronov, who crashed his plane into an unpopulated forest rather than eject and risk his plane crashing into the nearby city of Degtyarsk, where a monument was erected in his honor, according to Oblastnaya Gazeta.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants