Skolkovo to finish construction of Eastern Ring Skoltech campus by 2015
The campus, called the Eastern Ring, is a complex of separate buildings measuring 436,352 square feet. It was designed by Swiss architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron Architekten, which was founded by Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, winners of the Pritzker Prize in architecture in 2001.
Eastern Ring will feature classrooms, administrative and academic offices, conference rooms, a student center, a library, recreational facilities, cafes and research laboratories.
"The main learning process will occur in laboratories," Skoltech Chief Architect Yuri Starodubtsev said. "Classic lecture halls, as a percentage-- not much. Skolkovo Tech students [are] master's level students. ... Many of them have already come to the University with their research projects. Learning occurs during work on real research projects. And this, of course, [is] reflected in planning."
The final phase of construction on the campus is expected to be completed in 2020. The finished campus facilities will be able to accommodate a total of 1,252 post-doctoral students, 440 teachers and 200 researchers.
Herzog and de Meuron have served as visiting professors at Harvard University's Graduate School of Design since 1994. The firm is known for designing Switzerland's Blue House and Ricola Storage Building, as well as Dominus Winery in California.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants