President Obama to skip Sochi Winter Olympic Games
The U.S. joins France and Germany in not sending senior government leaders to the games, leaving many wondering if Russia's same-sex ban is the reason for Obama's decision to not attend, RIA Novosti reports.
Moreover, the U.S. will be sending Billie Jean King, a gay tennis champion, and Caitlin Cahow, a gay ice hockey Olympic medalist, to Sochi as the American delegation to the opening and closing ceremonies.
"All our delegation members are distinguished by their accomplishments in government service, civic activism and sports," White House spokesman Shin Inouye said, according to RIA Novosti.
Despite Russia's passage of a law forbidding the promotion of non-heterosexual relationships last June, the International Olympic Committee maintains that the safety of all athletes is secure during the games.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants