Sunday, December 17, 2017

Russian authorities launch investigation into meningitis-related death of seven-year-old boy

Russian federal prosecutors announced last week the launch of a preliminary inquiry into the death of a seven-year-old Yekaterinburg boy who died of meningitis in a city hospital.

Authorities said the child was diagnosed with meningitis after arriving at Asbest hospital with complaints of severe headaches. He was immediately admitted and placed in serious condition, according to Pravda.ru.

The boy's condition continued to worsen shortly after hospitalization, and he was moved to Asbest's intensive care unit. The boy died upon being transferred to Yekaterinburg's city hospital.

In recent weeks, there have been an elevated number of meningitis cases in the Sverdlovsk region, as well as in parts of Moscow. Authorities said the boy's case was unusually grave, adding that meningitis is rarely fatal, Pravda.ru reports.