Indoor running season begins in Yekaterinburg
The event is considered the real start of the Russian indoor season, though the European Athletics Indoor Championships in Gothenburg are less than two months away, European Athletics reports.
Smirnov recorded a personal best with the time for the distance, both indoor and outdoor, beating his previous best, set outdoors, of 7:49.11.
His teammate Yegor Nidolaev came in second at 7:51.42. Salomon Barngetuny came in third at 7:55.04. Smirnov's performance also earned him the third best time in Russian history.
Smirnov won bronze in the 1500m at the World University Games in Shenzhen in 2011. In the European scene, he finished third in the 300m at the SPAR European Team Championships in Bergen in 2010 and second in the 1500m at the same competition the next year in Stockholm.
Crowd-favorite Yuriy Borzakovskiy won the 1000m, waiting at the back of the field before moving in for the win with only 300m left in the race, posting a time of 2:24.27, according to European Athletics.
Borzakovskiy , the 2004 Olympic 800m champion, has won the European indoor title at that distance twice. He won in Ghent in 200 and in Torino nine years later.
Pavel Trenikhin won the 500m in 1:02.34 and Aleksey Kenig won the 300m in 33.6. Patrick Chinedu of Nigeria won the 60m in 6.75 and Kazakhstan's Sergey Zasimovich won the high jump, clearing 2.24m.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants