Bird set to return to UMMC Ekaterinburg
After sustaining hip injuries in 2011, Bird finally underwent surgery on her left hip in October. Although she was in pain, the point guard helped the U.S. Women's Basketball Olympic Team earn its fifth consecutive gold medal in the London Olympic Games, and took home three gold medals of her own, the Seattle Times reports.
Regarding her Olympic victories in the face of severe pain, Bird remains modest - saying, "I don't feel I went above and beyond...Every single person at some point did something that allowed us to win a gold medal...That's special," according to the Seattle Times.
Bird's arrival in Yekaterinburg marks the end of a three-month break she took to recover from her surgery and deal with the loss of her mother's long-time partner. Now 32, Bird will play her ninth season in Russia.
Bird is under contract to return to the Seattle Storm later in 2013.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants