Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Mutiny suspect Leonid Khabarov to undergo medical check in prison

Remand prison #1 in Yekaterinburg will conduct a thorough medical examination of Leonid Khabarov, who is a suspected accomplice of Colonel Vladimir Kvachkov, who is accused of an attempted mutiny.

"A prison doctor diagnosed ischemic heart disease in Khabarov. Taking into account his age, the remand prison administration on Tuesday decided to send him for complex medical examination to the therapy department of Yekaterinburg penitentiary # 2," the press service of the regional department of the Federal Penitentiary Service said, Itar-Tass reports.

The examination will occur on October 31. Khabarov's lawyer, Andrei Burmistrov, said his client had been complaining about pains in his chest, adding that his health had sharply deteriorated. Khabarov was previously treated for pneumonia at the prison and was unable to have a complete course of treatment, according to his lawyer.

The remand prison administration initially refused a medical check of the suspect.

Khabarov is a defendant in the criminal case following an attempted armed mutiny being conducted by the Sverdlovsk regional court. Viktor Kralin, Alexander Ladeishchikov, and Ladeishchikov's son are also defendants in the case. Ladeishchikov's son has already been given a six year suspended sentence in the case, according to Itar-Tass.

Khabarov is the former director of the institute of military and technological education and security at the Ural Federal University. He is the former first commandant of the Salang Pass in Afghanistan and was detained in Yekaterinburg last year on charges of attempted armed mutiny and recruiting persons for terrorist activity.

Kvachkov denies any wrongdoing and says the charges are far-fetched, adding that he was arrested on the testimony of a regional leader of the Narodnoye Opoicheniye militia organization he leads. The chief of the organization's Togliatti office was apprehended in the summer of 2010, where he testified against Kvachkov after ten days in custody.