Yekaterinburg artists mock government officials with caricatures
The drawings of Yevgeny Porunov, the mayor of Yekaterinburg, Alexander Yakob, the head of the city administration, and Yevgeny Kuivashev, the governor of the Sverdlovsk region, appeared overnight on Monday on some of the Ural capital's central streets, Ura.ru reports.
The pictures, posted on Vkontakte, a social networking website, show the black and white faces of the officials next to quotes from past speeches.
"Reconstructing the roads is our main task," the quote next to Kuivashev's drawing said, according to Ura.ru.
The quote next to Porunov promises that the city roads will be repaired by April.
The quotes were written in stenciled white letters next to the officials' faces.
Yekaterinburg has been criticized in the past for poor road upkeep and local officials have made multiple promises to upgrade the surface of the roads.
The drawings were part of a project called "Make the Officials Work? that occurred on Monday and Tuesday night. Pictures of the caricatures were found on other social networking sites like Twitter and LiveJournal as well, Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty reports.
While the drawings were initially panned by the mayor's office, by midday on Tuesday, work crews removed the caricatures and began filling the potholes.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants