Yekaterinburg wins men's basketball Super League
Yekaterinburg trailed in the fourth quarter but knotted the score at 54 with 9.9 seconds to go. Surgut's Lynas Lekyavichyus appeared to foul Dmitry Nikolaev with a few seconds remaining but the officials neglected to call the penalty, OblGazeta.ru reports.
The crowd roared with disapproval from the non-call as Yekaterinburg's Semen Shashkov was fouled. The noise in the stadium was so loud, the referee could not tell whether or not the final buzzer had gone off before the foul was called. The teams went back to their benches to prepare for overtime while the officials discussed the play.
The referees decided to award Shashkov two free throws with 1.2 seconds remaining. Shashkov hit the first free throw, propelling his team to a one point victory, according to OblGazeta.ru.
Shashkov was criticized all season after a subpar performance. He came through at the right time for Yekaterinburg, hitting 12 free throws during the game.
Yekaterinburg will be part of the Super League in 2012-2013, when 16 teams are expected to participate. The team may also be selected for the VTB United League.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants