UMMC Yekaterinburg signs Diana Taurasi
Taurasi comes to Yekaterinburg after playing with the Turkish women's basketball club Fenerbache in the 2010-2011 season and the Turkish basketball club Galatasaray the previous year, according to AZCentral.com.
This upcoming season will mark the second time that Taurasi has played for a Russian team. While playing for Spartak Moscow Region, Taurasi helped lead the team to four EuroLeague Women's Championship titles. While playing for Spartak Moscow, Taurasi also received four prestigious Final Four MVP trophies between 2007 and 2010.
In signing with UMMC, Taurasi will rejoin her former Spartak Moscow teammate Sue Bird, who also renewed her contract with UMMC for the 2012-13 season. While playing with Galatasaray in 2009-2010, Taurasi averaged 20.9 points, 3.1 assists and 4.4 rebounds, AZCentral.com reports.
UMMC devotes its energies towards its competition in the Russian Women's Basketball League as opposed to the EuroLeague Women. Last year, UMMC claimed the Russian Women's Basketball Championship title and placed third in the EuroLeague Women's Championship at the inaugural Final Eight in Istanbul.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants