Tortoise smuggler arrested with 2,245 tortoises
"A total of 2,245 tortoises were found in the woman's bags," the interior ministry's transport department reported, according to Ria Novosti. The animals came from the Uzbek city of Ferghana, and were headed for the city of Samara to be prepared and served as delicacies in high-end restaurants.
The woman was detained in the southern Urals city of Orenburg, and charged with the violation of animal quarantine rules. She and her tortoises will be deported.
The woman was charged with violating animal quarantine rules, which is an offense punishable with a fine of up to approximately $17,000, Ria Novosti reports.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants