UMMC Yekaterinburg captures the Russian Cup
Sue Bird, who only joined UMMC at the start of the year, was named the MVP of the Russian Cup, FIBA.com reports.
Bird is a two-time Olympic gold medal winner with the United States and a two-time world champion.
Becky Hammon, a naturalized Russian who plays for Sparta&K Moscow Region, was named the best defender of the Russian Cup. Elena Danilochkina of Russia was named the best small forward and Maria Stepanova was the voted top center, according to FIBA.com.
Of the members who currently play on the UMMC team, potential players in the 2012 Olympics in London this summer are Candace Parker, Svetlana Abrosimova, Tatiana Vidmer, Maria Stepanova and Olga Arteshina.
Additionally, UMMC players Sandrine Gruda of France and Hana Horakova of the Czech Republic will be with their national teams in Ankara, Turkey, in June for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Women, where five places for the London Games are up for grabs.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants