Komsomolskaya Pravda sued over Zhirinovsky quote
Zhirinovsky allegedly made disparaging remarks about the inhabitants of the Ural Mountains a decade ago on the television show "Top Secret," and they were used later in the election of a Russian presidential candidate, Oblgazeta.ru reports.
"(The people) that (live) from Perm to Yekaterinburg - terrible, retarded people," Zhirinovsky said, according to Oblgazeta.ru.
Lawyer Alexei Reutov sued the publishing house, even though many other media outlets also allegedly published the quote. Dmitry Berezin requested that the judge review a statement of claim, emphasizing the other media sources that referenced the quote.
"It is unclear why Mr. Reutov chose as our edition (as) the defendant," Berezin said, according to Oblgazeta.ru.
It is unlikely that Zhirinovsky has yet been officially notified of the claim by Reutov, as the filing of the application letter to the plaintiff did not yet have the time to reach the destination, according to preliminary hearing judge Victor Chebykin.
Reutov has requested that the court order Zhirinovsky to pay approximately $2,000 in compensation for the moral damage. The suit also requests that the newspaper publish denials of the judgment.
The Sverdlovsk regional court in Perm will meet about the lawsuit on February 24.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants