Yekaterinburg leads in informal Expo-2020 poll
At 10:45 a.m. local time, Yekaterinburg had 62 percent of the vote, in which 2,077 voted for the Urals capital out of 3,325 votes. Far behind in second place was Ayutthaya, Thailand, with 23 percent, or 762 votes, in total, Oblgazeta.ru reports.
While an informal vote such as this will not be directly considered by the jury that selects the official site, it may influence the decision of the committee. In addition, the winner of the poll at expo2020vote.blogspot.com will be able to demonstrate its relative internet fame through a victory.
Expo-2020 is a world international exhibition that will run from May 1 to October 31 in the year 2020. The festival will rival the Olympic Games in importance and, if selected, Yekaterinburg could be the capital of the world for six months. Expo-2020 is expected to bring 20 million visitors from around the world, Oblgazeta.ru reports.
Russia chose Yekaterinburg as its representative city in October. Residents of the city were actively involved in the theme the country would propose. The topic decided upon was "Global Intelligence: Mankind in a Single Dialogue." This theme would allow the entire world to have an open dialogue on Russia's future development.
Other cities attempting to win the bid to host the festival include Izmir, Turkey, Ayutthaya, Thailand, Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Dubai, U.A.E.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants