Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Three Russian cities may be cut from 2018 World Cup programme

The Russian cities of Volgograd, Kaliningrad and Yekaterinburg have been identified by FIFA as cities that may ultimately not be included in the 2018 FIFA World Cup program.

In a statement made in Brazil last week, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the football organization will be convening in September to discuss the possibility of reducing the number of stadiums for the 2018 World Cup from 12 to 10, Inside World Football reports.

Blatter's remarks came two days after Russian Sports Minister Valery Mutko's address outlining the details of the 12 stadiums to be constructed in the Russian World Cup cities.

Event organizers said costly construction projects planned for Volgograd, Kaliningrad and Yekaterinburg will likely be cancelled if FIFA decides to reduce the number of host city's during their September meeting, according to Inside World Football.

The three cities were identified as the ones to be cut due to the excessive spending for stadium construction, lack of sufficient medical facilities and poor transportation infrastructure.