Severe summer thunderstorms leave thousands without electricity in Perm, Chelyabinsk
Approximately 1,000 Chelyabinsk residents and 5,000 Perm residents lost power during a major thunderstorm last Wednesday, ITAR-TASS reports.
"As a result of the passage of a strong storm front with strong gusts of wind damage occured two double-circuit transmission lines 110kV voltage class," a spokesperson from area power supplier Chrysostom, according to ITAR-TASS. "As a result, remain without electricity presently six settlements in the mining and factory zone and the central part of the Chelyabinsk region, including the city of Kusa."
Immediately following the power outage, repair crews from area electricity companies Zlatoust, Central Electric Networks, Chrysostom and Chelyabenergo were dispatched.
"Repairs crews [have] conducted inspections of equipment," a spokesperson from Chelyabenergo said, ITAR-TASS reports. "Soon the majority of customers will be powered by a backup scheme. Situation is under the full control of professionals."
Meanwhile, meteorologists are anticipating even more thunderstorms in the middle and south Urals in the coming week. In preparation for the worsening weather, area power companies have mobilized emergency response teams and have increased the shift lengths of repair workers.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants