Sverdlovsk athletes compete in Sambo World Cup in St. Petersburg
Aymergen Atkunov and Ilya Khlybov were champions in their respective weight classes at the Universiade in Kazan prior to competing in the World Cup. Atkunov represented the Urals in the 125-pound category, while Khlybov competed in the 137-pound class, Oblastnaya Gazeta reports.
This year's Sambo World Cup brought athletes from across 70 countries to compete in the wrestling discipline that originated in Russia in 1938.
"Now the [form of] Sambo [has] really grown," Khlybov said in a recent telephone interview, according to Oblastnaya Gazeta. "The most serious contenders in Russia are Georgians and Kazakhstan. I will only fight for victory."
The final rounds of the Sambo World Cup were held Nov. 23 to 24 in St. Petersburg.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants