Chilean authorities vow to continue searching for missing Russian tourist
In September, Russian national Dmitry Sivenkov joined his two friends, an Italian national and a French national, in Chile for sightseeing and hiking. The group was reported missing on November 8 after they did not return from a hike through the slopes of Villarrica volcano on November 7, Itar Tass reports.
The tourists did not register their intent to scale the 2,500 meter volcano on foot with the proper Chilean agencies. Officials within the national park where Villarrica resides had originally expected the group to return the evening of November 7. They later learned that Sivenkov's party planned to spend the evening in the mountains.
On November 8, Chilean rescue teams began to search for Sivenkov and his friends. For nine days, rescuers combed the immediate areas surrounding the Villarrica and Quetrupillan volcanos, as well as parts of the adjacent Argentine territory. In total, 30,000 hectares of land were searched until Chilean officials notified the Russian embassy in Santiago on November 16 that the rescue operation had been suspended due to worsening weather conditions.
The Russian Foreign Ministry, which has been in contact with Chilean regional authorities since the disappearance, issued a warning to all Russians traveling overseas to register at consular sections of Russian embassies when arriving in foreign countries. The ministry confirmed that it has been communicating regularly with Sivenkov's family and is arranging for Dmitry's father to travel to Chile from Yekaterinburg and meet with those in charge of his son's rescue operation, according to Itar-Tass.
- WNBA Coach of the Year Sandy Brondello to coach UMMC Yekaterinburg
- Yekaterinburg's Factory Kitchen UZTM proposed as cultural heritage site
- Yekaterinburg youth to train veterans on computer use
- WorldSkills promises spectacular opening ceremony to Hi-Tech championship in Yekaterinburg
- French universities present course offerings at UrFU
- New housing output doubles in Sverdlovsk region in 2014
- Russia to unveil 2018 FIFA World Cup emblem on Oct. 28
- Yekaterinburg Circus holds special performance for veteran performers
- UBRD begins issuing bank cards with contactless payment technology
- Actress Keira Knightley visits UrFU to discuss charity work