Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg fires head coach Andrei Shayanov
Avtomobilist has the worst record of any KHL team, with only four wins in 20 games. The team is 19 points away from the last playoff place in the eastern conference, RIA Novosti reports.
Shayanov jioned the team in June after coaching Russia's junior national team and actings as the coach of KHL team Barys Astana.
"They told me about it yesterday evening," Shayanov said of his firing, RIA Novosti reports. "I think we lost a lot, but I wanted to coach the team a bit longer. I didn't expect it."
Shayanov did not comment on what grounds management gave for the firing or on a possible successor, though former NHL defenseman Igor Ulanov has been linked to Avtomobilist by the Russian media.
In the 2009-10 season, KHL lost to Ak Bars Kazan in the first round of the playoffs, its only time reaching the KHL playoffs.
Dynamo Minsk coach Kari Heikkila was the first coach fired this season. Atlant's Janne Karlsson lost his job, too, as did Josef Jandac, who was fired from Lev Prague after a seven game losing streak, RIA Novosti reports.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants