Cross vandalized at Yekaterinburg memorial
The cross was pulled out of the ground and thrown into nearby shrubs, according to Pogorelov, a researcher at the regional center for the protection of historical and cultural heritage, Interfax reports.
"It is an outrageous act of hooliganism, or a provocation," Pogorelov said, according to Interfax.
The historic remains were moved to the abandoned Ganina Yama mine after the royal family's execution in Yekaterinburg in 1918. After being thrown into a shallow well, the bodies were then lifted out of the well to be moved to a more secure place.
During transit, the convoy became stuck in a marshy area, called Porosyonkov Log. There, the Bolsheviks dug a pit and dumped the bodies into it after pouring sulfuric acid onto them. Nine of the 12 bodies were buried in the same place while the bodies of Crown Prince Alexey and his sister Maria were buried separately in a forest.
The mass remains were discovered in 1978, but Alexey and Maria's remains were not found until 2007. The remains were identified as the Royal Family's after numerous scientific and anthropological tests, Interfax reports.
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants