Uralchem assists Latvian youth basketball team
Uralchem will donate more than $52,000 to the youth team to improve the team's training process, the technical base, activities, school programs, and competition organization.
“In August 2014, Uralchem became the controlling shareholder of one of the terminals of Ventspils Free Port – Ventamonjaks,” general director of UCC Uralchem Dmitry Konyaev said. “One of Uralchem's basic principles is to help people and to implement social projects in the regions in which the company operates. Until now, it was Moscow, Kirov, Perm, Berezniki in Russia and Riga in Latvia. Traditionally we give to charitable projects aimed at supporting children and sports. We hope our initiative in Ventspils will be successful and improve the lives of people around us."
President of the Ventspils basketball club and the chairman of the Ventspils City Council Aivars Lembergs said basketball is one of the most popular sports in Latvia. Ventspils, the region's oldest club, has won the Latvian championship nine times, the Baltic Basketball League championship once, and placed third in the FIBA Champions Cup. The club created a system to develop players from the first class in secondary schools to someday be members of the Latvian national team.
The Ventspils basketball school and its youth team Ventspils Augstskola, serving in the second division of the Latvian Basketball League, are a part of that youth development program. The Ventspils basketball boarding school was founded in 2000 to unite Latvia's most talented young basketball players and provide them with an environment in which they can fully develop their skills. Many alumni of the school have played on the Latvian team and represented European clubs at the highest level.
"We are grateful to Uralchem for its decision to support the Ventspils basketball school as a contribution to the development not only of Ventspils, but all of Latvian basketball,” Lembergs said.
Organizations in this story
UralChem 6/2 Presnenskaya Naberezhnaya Moscow, Russia
- Ural Airlines modifies rewards program
- Exhibition to celebrate Tchaikovsky's birthday
- Ural State Academy of Architecture and Arts hosts first StartUp Design Week
- URFU hosts annual natural history festival
- Robocenter added to map of important robotics centers
- Sverdlovsk housing market prices increase
- Volschansk Mechanical Plant expanding product range
- Sverdlovsk Regional Entrepreneurship Support Fund to accept applications for CMEF
- Over 4,500 residents have already lost jobs this year in Sverdlovsk
- USMU accepting Global Education program applicants